Hey yarn and fibre lovers! Are you joining us for the 5th anniversary of the Great London Yarn Crawl this Saturday? We're looking forward to seeing you at the After Party and Mini Yarn Market (don't forget to save some of your funds for our awesome vendors who will be there!) where we'll be joined by special guest Erika Knight!
With so much to look forward to, it's time to revisit our top tips for making the most of your day out yarn crawling around the capital:
- Comfy shoes are a MUST! We've tried to minimise the walking distances as much as we can but there's still a lot involved. It might not be a lot in the moment, but it will add up over the day as you trek from bus stop to shop to tube station. You get the idea.
- Carry a bottle of water with you. It can be hot and muggy in the tube. Stay hydrated to keep your energy from flagging.
- Pack snacks. After your initial meet up in the morning you may have a while to go before lunch, depending on your team's schedule. Have something with you to keep your energy up if there isn't time to stop for breaks between shops. Also ideal if you've got any allergies or food intolerances and aren't sure what your options will be for lunch.
- Oyster card. Or travel card or contactless payment card or whatever, make sure you've got it with you. Cash payments are no long accepted on London buses.
- Weather check. Right now it's looking like rain on Saturday, plan your wardrobe accordingly.
- Health concerns or issues? Please let your Yarn Guide know (privately) so that they can be aware and help you should the need arise.
- Shopping list. Done any advance reccy? Bring your list as time is limited in each shop. If you're shopping for a specific project bring the pattern or list of materials needed with you.
- (Extra) carrier bag. Your goody bag will have goodies in it, so depending your planned purchases, bring another bag.
- Wallet, super-secret-savings-for-stash, etc. Our shops will have some great promos for you so be ready to take advantage! You'll also want to save some cash to get some raffle tickets at the after party!
- Clean hands are happy hands. Bring hand sanitizer or wipes if you're leery of public transport. Also a great idea for keeping your hands clean for touching yarn, fabric, your project you brought with you...
- Wear something hand made! We feel this needs no explanation.
- Portable project. Something small, and ideal for social knitting is best. This is not the time to be carrying 10 different colours and accompanying charts. Or adding beads to lace.
- Charity knits for Knit for Peace. We'll be collecting these at the after party so bring any new knits that you've made to donate and we'll trade them for raffle tickets. More knits = more changes to win our grand prize!
- Share the yarn love. Tag your snaps on the day on Instagram and Twitter using the hashtag #GLYC2016. You can also use our fave #3thingsforyarnlove, #lovelocalyarn, and #placesyoucanknit.
- Stay connected. Trade contact info with your Yarn Guide in case anyone in the group is separated.
Have a superb GLYC and we can't wait to see your new stash acquisitions from the day!
See you Saturday!